Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Review: Oh Yes, I'm Going There









50 Shades of Grey. Gasp.

Yes, I read it. I read the whole series. What book lover HASN'T read it?!

Erotic? Yes
Cheesy? At Times
Love story? Truth
Scary? Believe it or not, yes

I have a few things to say about the book:

While the critics cannot stand the writing, I quite enjoyed it. Besides the sex scenes, it had just enough description to put me in the scene without dragging out every detail. I am a straight forward reader. I want to feel like I'm in the room witnessing everything, but I can't stand when a writer goes on and on with analogies and comparisons. "Her expression was as....as....on a summer morning with...bla bla bla". For goodness sakes, let the story progress! This is why I loved the series. I felt connected to what was happening, but it was fast paced.

You DO get committed to almost all of the characters. While Ana can be a bit whiny, you want to see her win...with Christian. You care about her dad and her friends. I have to say that one of my favorite characters was Christan's Mom, Grace.

Now, this book is not for the faint of heart. I almost stopped reading in the middle of the first book, for 2 reasons.
1: seriously, I'm not into the whole spanking thing.
2: calling a vagina "my sex" is so over the top cheesy.

...I continued on and I'm glad I did. I like the suspense throughout book 2 and 3, the action scenes in book 3, and the final wrap up.

My final thoughts: don't let the kiddie's read it, don't compare your husband/boyfriend to Christian (you will be depressed), and just read the book for which all books are intended -- for entertainment

1 comment:

  1. I haven't dove into those books. Everyone says I must. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete