Friday, August 30, 2013

My Entry into the Olympics?

A friend of mine shared that she added swimming to her workout routine. Once a week, she goes to the local aquatic center and swims laps. I've been pretty jealous about this since the Tamarac (the local gym) has a dinky, odd-shaped pool which isn't set up for laps. 

So, I was so excited to see this show up in my Facebook feed:


They re-opened the old high school as a community center!!! Best of all, they have lane swimming from 5:30-7:30 AM - which is when I work out! 

So, I've been totally geeked...but haven't gone. I've been nervous!!!

Today, I put on my big girl panties...er, swimming suit...and drove the 3 blocks to the high school.

I wanted to be early to get a gutter lane (to hang onto) so I arrived at 5:34 AM. Much to my dismay, there were a BUNCH of cars in the lot. Shit! I thought. Are there lots of GOOD swimmers here?!?!?!

Sure enough, I found myself amongst Olympic Swimmers. The pool has 5 lanes, and there were 6 fit dudes in the pool (no lane markers so that more fit).

Well, crap. I actually have to do this. In front of a bunch of dudes that are great swimmers who are really in shape and gosh they are swimming fast! 

I asked the lifeguard the best lane to get in and then I did it -- I got in.

Let's be real: I am not a very good swimmer. I stuck to the breast stroke and rested every lap. 

Ok, wait. I think a lap is down and back. I rested every half a lap. 

Next to these graceful gliders I looked like a walrus having a seizure. Spitting and sputtering, kicking up geysers of water, gasping for air, and barely making it down the lane. 

I "swam" until my muscles gave out. Technically I was in the pool an hour but I'm guessing actual swim time was half or less of that. 

But, shit - I DID it! What are most people doing at 5:34 AM? 

And, I'm doing it again next week! 

Btw: my goggles are the best goggles I've ever worn - and clearly I'm an expert - they are Speedo Resilience


No comments:

Post a Comment