Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oogy Read

I just finished a book. (No, I don't want a cookie)

Oogy is a story about a poor dog used as a bait dog for a dog fighting ring who was found, saved, and taken in by a family. Since I am a huge dog-lover and ASPCA commercials make me cry, I figured that this would be a real tear-jerker.

Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could LoveWrong.

Yes, there were terrible parts of the book that brought tears to my eyes -- but there was nothing motivational or inspiring about this book and here are the reasons why I do not recommend it:




  • You never read about anyone getting punished or caught for abusing the poor dog -- yet the beginning eludes to the fact that the owner tried to find out who did it
  • There is no plot to the book -- the first chapter explains how he was rescued -- the rest of the book doesn't say a whole lot
  • The writing is TERRIBLE. "I walked to the counter and poured myself coffee. Then, I put it in the microwave for 50 seconds. Then, I put laundry in the dryer. I looked at Oogy..." There was limited sentence variety and felt as though I was reading a text book
The BIGGEST reason why I hated this book is because the owner thinks he is the best man that ever walked the face of the earth. All 219 pages of this book are dedicated to what an amazing man the author is for taking this dog in, taking care of him and providing him necessary medical treatment.

Wait a minute -- isn't that what every pet owner does?

Here's the thing -- if you decide to take a pet in, you have to be willing to provide him/her ALL the necessary medical treatment and love that you would provide to a human being. Sure, some people chain their pets outside and ignore them -- but those people are not animal lovers -- they are animal abusers. That is my belief and I will stick to it.

So, while I wanted to love this book...and I really wanted to... I did not and it was a challenge to finish.

However, I hope Oogy has a wonderful life and I do love the fact that a family did take him in.



2 comments:

  1. Read The Art of Running in the Rain. The hubs and I both really liked it, but fair warning, it's a total tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very nice post all information about pet you can get here.
    Thank you for sharing with us.

    Pet Sitting Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete