Friday, November 13, 2009

Niko's Hillarious Health Hysterics

I've been meaning to post this blog for awhile, but I was having problems uploading pictures. It seems to be fixed now - so here we go:
Urine Collection #2

Niko's first successful urine sample was not successful at all. Too deluted. What does that mean? Urine collection again...YAY!

Here is the wonderful tray the vet provided me...with a set of gloves. It has little pockets for urine. Urine Pockets - for some reason that is really funny to me.

The urine collection itself went very well. It is actually much easier than I ever thought (although I admit I've never thought about it). Basically, as she squats, I just slide it under her and let her fill it up. When it starts to get full, I pull it back. Not bad.

This time I had to bring her to the vet, so I put the pee tray in a ziplock bag and ALSO in a box. I was NOT going to run the risk of her spilling it all over my car! I loaded the pee and Niko in the car and it was off to the vet.

Niko gets really excited at the vet's office. As soon as I park, she want to jump out. I have to reach back to the backseat, attach her leash, open the door, and hang onto the leash with my life because she is going to bolt. That is exactly what she did.

So, picture this: My car door is open, Niko is pulling as hard as she can because she wants to go smell everything, my huge purse is falling off my shoulder, I have my keys in my hand and I have to reach into the back seat to grab the urine.

Urine...dog pulling me...Urine....dog pulling me...

I reach down to grab the pee and right then Niko pulls really hard. She pulls me up and I slice my finger on the corner of the car door. It immediately starts gushing blood.

Ouch...dog pulling me...urine...finger throbbing and blood everywhere...naughty dog...urine...ouch...

Needless to say, it was not easy getting in the vet's office, but we did it. No kidney disease - so everything works out!

Niko's Scary Allergic Reaction

So, one night Niko started to itch really bad. I was quite certain that she had fleas - so I gave her a bath. I figured I would bathe her first to rule out dry skin before I went and got all the flea stuff.

As Niko is quite prone to ear infections, she has this ear cleaning/drying solution that I am supposed to squirt in her ears. Obviously, she hates it. As soon as the cap comes off, she runs. It can take 3-4 people to hold her down to get it in.

When I took Niko from Jason he said, "Good luck combing her out and putting any drops in her ears - there is no way that you will ever be able to do it!" Obviously, I was determined to do it myself. Now, the cleaning solution has only been used once. (He was referring to ear infection drops) I decided that as a good Mommy - I was going to get the cleaning/drying solution in her ears.

It was a bit rough, but I actually got it done. I locked us in the bathroom with the treat and coaxed her into letting me. I still had to shove my body against her to pin her to the counter, but I got it done. (She also let me comb her).

Then, I started to blog :)

A couple of seconds later, she was going nuts...rubbing her ears on the floor. She looked like the solution was really bothering her, so I took kleenex and wiped out her ears. She loved it.

And I went back to blogging... :)

About 5 minutes later, I looked back and her, and this is what I saw:


I don't think the picture shows how scary it really was, but her whole eye and face were swollen and blotchy. It was scary. She had an allergic reaction before, but so, so, so scary. I called the vet and immediately got the proper dosage for her weight.

Thankfully, it worked and within 30-60 minutes, the swelling and reddness went down. I had her on Benydril and when all is said and done, it stopped the itching too. Was it the cleaning solution or was it something else? Not quite sure but I don't think I can use the cleaning solution on her ever again.


1 comment:

  1. Awww...poor baby! She looked really rough. Great job though doing it by yourself!! That's awesome!! I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall that night!

    ReplyDelete