Thursday, March 25, 2010

Stabbing for Sazzle

Sazzle had a bit of an injury.

So, I have a bad back. Every time Niko and I start jogging twice a day (or at all) it hurts for awhile. This time is really bad. We got back from jogging last night and I could barely move. At one point, I turned and I thought my entire body was going to give out.

Awful. Sharp Stabbing Pains. Awful.

I went to CVS and bought a heating pad - which I fell asleep on last night and it was wonderful! Don't worry, it has a 2-hour shut off.

I also bought these:

ThermaCare Lower Back Heat Wraps, Large-XL, 2-Count Boxes (Pack of 3)

AWE - SOME

They claim that it works for 8 hours. Honestly, it worked for about 10 before I took it off. They are a bit expensive at $3-4 for each use. However, they really helped today. At the end of the work day, I felt like I was ready to go jogging again!!! (Although, I could still feel the pain)

Side note: A few people told me that my back could be due to not stretching my hamstrings enough. So, this medical trainer I know sent me a document of stretches and exercises to do to stretch out the hammies and strengthen my back. Hopefully that will do the job.

Yes, I am going to Sazzle and actually do the stretches/exercises

Oh -- and you RN's out there (and you know who I am talking to you -- all 3 of you) -- Yes, I am fully aware that I should be icing it as much as using a heat pad...but quite frankly, the heat feels better :)





6 comments:

  1. I think heat is appropriate IF it is just muscle pain. If it is in the joint then you would definetly want to alternate with ice. But, then again I only have my RN license with no experience as an RN. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about the RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) but this is trickier with the back. Frankly, I would do heat on the back too, but legs, hips, etc, I would follow the rule of RICE.

    I had some lower back issues awhile ago and my PT thought it had something to do with not enough core strength, which holds you steady when you run. So, my advice would be to be careful running, let the injury heal, stretch you hammies, build you core, and sazzle on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use those therma care pads that go on my stomach during that pleasant time of month and they are AWESOME!!! They are kind of hard to find sometime, so you have to buy them when you find them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two weeks ago I pulled my quadricep muscle, like super bad. I put one of those Thermacare pads on, and left it for 10 hours. So, you will not get a lecture from me:)

    Oh, and I got my Thermacare pad for free, I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah you take it easy! glad the pacth worked x

    Missy
    For everything about fashion:
    http://thefashionfusion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete