Friday, October 23, 2009

Adventures with Sazzle and Squeakers

Oh where to start, where to start?

This first week with Niko has been quite busy and full of ups and downs. I now understand how busy a single mother's life is...and I get to leave Niko home by herself!!! Here is a little look into our adventures:

Adventures with Puffy:
Thankfully, Puffy is still alive...

...despite the fact there is a lot of this:

...and this:

...and this:

Adventures in Everyday Life:
We have quite the set schedule.
5:30am wake up
6am go jogging/walking
6:45am play with Puffy
7am I get in the shower (on Tuesday she still wanted to play when I got in the shower - so she threw her pink ball into the shower...scared the crap out of me!)
7:45 while I am finishing getting ready for work - I bore Niko so she climbs in my bed and goes back to sleep. I feel like she is teasing me - "Thanks for the jog Mom - now can you please shut the lights off and leave?"
5:30pm get home from work.
6pm go jogging/walking
6:45 relax and make dinner
7-10 the 3 hours I have to get everything done and also play with her

***Obviously I go nowhere and thus, dating will remain as it currently is - non-existent

Adventures in Dieting:
Poor thing is on a diet. Therefore, I now measure her food. It is interesting to see that sometimes the food is gone in a second and other times she barely touches it all day. I think she wonders if I am mad at her because I'm not giving her (as much) people food.

Side note: Niko does NOT like carrots :)


Adventures in Backpacking:
I bought Niko a backpack. The reason? I don't feel like holding keys, cellphone, poop bags, etc... while we are walking. Actually, it is awful when we are jogging. If I wear a cross-body purse- it hits my back. So, I figured - Niko can do it. I spent a pretty penny on it. But, doesn't it look cute?


Do you notice the nervous smile? Yep - she hates it. Although, she did let me put it on 3 times with some coaxing.
Unfortunately, the backpack is getting returned to the store. It shifts on her body when we are walking. I am trying to come up with a better plan.

Adventures in Meeting "Friends":
Niko doesn't have any dog friends and I think she really wants them. She gets really excited when she sees other dogs. She about knocks me over trying to get to them. Crazy enough, when she finally gets side by side with them, she often "hides" behind my legs because she is a bit scared. Here are some of the "friends" she has ran into in the last week:

Jazzy: the neighbors below me got a baby English Bull Dog. She is SO cute - but Niko thinks Jaz is invading our home. (Niko thinks the WHOLE apartment building is ours)
April: the weirdo neighbor's yellow lab - who is never on a leash. Niko wanted to play but I really don't trust this dog - seems a bit crazy. Plus, I want to stay away from the weirdo.
2 Golden Retreivers (at the vet): They didn't have any interest in Niko's existence. Their owner wanted me to keep Niko as far from them as possible. JERK. Aren't dog lovers supposed to like other dog lovers?
2 Pittbulls on the trail: Came out of the trailor park with their owners. From a distance, I became a bit nervous. Obviously, you can't trust a book by its cover as these were the nicest dogs and owners I have run into in the last week.
2 Very Pretty well-groomed dogs in the parking lot - one a lab and one a cocker spaniel: Again, can't judge a book by its cover. The owners were dressed very well with expensive accessories. However, their dogs were EVIL. The lab-mix was snarling at Niko. Not barking or growling - snarling. Then, of course, the expensively-dressed woman started hitting him and screaming....her and her boyfriend glared (as though I wasn't allowed in "their" parking lot). Niko gave me a concerned look, ignored the dogs and we walked off. Take that :)
Maya: Oh Maya! My favorite so far. Niko met her tonight. Maya was off her leash. The girls loved each other. For a minute, Niko hid behind my leg - not that she was scared, but more like she was nervous to meet such a calm, sweet dog. I assumed the dog was a 6-month old lab. Nope. She is a mutt and is 3-4 years old - but looks like a young black lab. Niko was so happy and I am so proud of her. She made a true friend tonight.
Adventures at the Vet...Again

When Niko went to the vet last week, they asked me if I wanted this special test done. It isn't necessary, but it is a blood test to check everything. While it is $40 - I told them to do it because I wanted to make sure she was completely checked. Unfortunately, that test showed a bit of an abnormality. There is a possibility that she has kidney disease. Very scary...very, very scary. (Some may think it isn't a big deal - but she is my baby) I am not going to dwell - I get the results soon.

So, I got Niko into the vet on Thursday. In order to check for kidney disease, they need to do a urinalysis. For that, they obviously need urine. She would NOT pee for me and the vet tech. Picture this, me and some blond girl following Niko around in the rain trying to get her to pee. Not the most fun I have ever had. However, she did get her nails done.

Of course - she was just as bad as the first time. This time, my feet were wet from the rain and the floor was wet. Niko basically had me ice-skating across the floor. Boy, I look like a GREAT dog owner...

...if they can't get her to pee at the office - how do we get it? Well, dear friends, that means that it is Mommy's job to collect. Unfortunately, I am Mommy. They gave me a clear, plastic tray and gloves and sent me on my way....yep...

Do you know what 4 people told me to use? This:

Adventures in Pee Collection:
Today I was a bit stressed about getting pee all over me. I had every bad situation running through my head. I was picturing her kicking it and having it spill all over me and my face. Gross...

I am happy to report that it went more perfect than I could have imagined. I got home from work and then put on the gloves, grabbed a plastic bag and took her outside. She dropped to pee and I easily slid it under her before she began peeing. I actually had to pull it back because she almost filled it. Then, I put the tray in the ziplock bag, put her in the apartment, and brought it to the vet. Perfect. No pee on me. Thankfully :)

No...there are no pictures or videos - even though I was asked by a large group of people to have record of it.
Adventures in Sleeping:
I have slept better in the last week than I have in the last year. Thank you Niko - Mommy needed you. However, it is a good thing I don't have a boyfriend/husband - her and I take up the whole bed.

Adventures with Me:
I have been really happy.
I bought a daily devotional and started reading it each day.
My stress level is pretty low.
I cuddle with my baby each day.
Did I mention that even though I am a crazy pet owner - I feel like myself again?
I AM ok by myself...now that she is with me :) Is that still being co-dependent?

I don't know what will happen tomorrow (kidney disease or no kidney disease) nor do I know what is going to happen in the future. However, each day is a new adventure and things will happen when they are supposed to. Squeaks and I will handle whatever comes at us.

I Sazzle because I am a FANTASTIC urine collector :)

3 comments: