Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Torn...but came to a decision

Many of you know I have been quite a mess today. I feel really bad about forcing Niko to live in an apartment.

You see, at the house she gets TONS of excercise...even in rain or snow. The house butts up to a nature preserve. What we would do is take her in the back yard and chuck the frisbee. She would have to run down a hill and up a hill to get it and then down the hill and up the hill to bring it back. After about 5 throws she was completely exhausted and as content as can be. We would do that with her 3 times a day. Jason would come home on lunch to take her out.

Unfortunately, there is not a place close to the apartment where she can go without a leash right now. The frisbee would have to be put away, which breaks my heart. Plus, even taking her for a walk every single day is not the same amount of excercise she was getting. Also, I can't take her out on my lunch so she would have to go a long time without going potty - and no play.

I feel really bad. It is not ok that I have to make this choice. Give her up forever or force her to live in an apartment.

I can't give her up and nobody should ever ask me to do so. I will be keeping her and picking her up when I return from NYC. It will be a lot and I will go from having no life to having my life be my baby. My life will revolve around her needs and I won't have anyone to help out. She is a BIG girl so babysitters are hard to come by and I worry she won't get all the excercise she needs. However, I know that she loves me and is happy with me. That is a good thing - I enjoy having someone "need" me. Now I am a single mother :)

9 comments:

  1. You two will make it work, and she will make you stronger. If she is as good of dog as you say, your friends will step up and help. Truth is, people prefer big dog over little ones anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused. Are you keeping her, or not? Sorry, I'm retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is your lease up in your apartment? It can be a temporary thing until you can find something closer. You can always find dog sitters, you would be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM keeping her, I just feel bad that she will in an apartment. However, this will get me running outside I suppose. She can def. do a 5K. My lease is up in July. However, I can't move anymore - furniture is really big :) But, can't buy a house because the other house is still in my name. Craziness. Cross your fingers I win the Mega Millions tonight. Then all my problems will be solved :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When will the house be out of your name or will it be? You can do this! I'm sooo happy you're keeping her. If I lived closer I would dog sit for you but I'm sure you can find someone...ask pet stores and vets for referals. Is she good with other dogs? What about doggy daycare? I know it's going to be an adjustment for both of you but I'm sure she isn't going to mind it too much. YAY for keeping Niko!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...The house is an indefinite thing. He put it on hold. Arg. I am looking around. She doesn't need doggy day care - but if I knew of a dog walker I would hire one. She is beautiful. We will Sazzle it Out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy to hear your going to keep her Steph! I think you two really need each other...I don't know what she would do without her Mommy! :)
    I'm also excited for movie nights...I will always have a bag of sunflower seeds for the princess!!
    Have a good night sweets! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh....the SUNFLOWER SEEDS!!! Everyone, when Abby and I do movie nights, she brings sunflower seeds and Niko sits like a pretty princess next to her begging for some. Niko loves Abby. Also, Abby can tell you how awesome Niko is. Love you too Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to doggy sit for you, but of course my dogs would have to get along with them. Let me tell you, my babies are spoiled. They sleep in bed with me and one of them even sleeps under the blanket. Maybe once the dog park is open I can bring them down to meet her.

    ReplyDelete