Monday, October 5, 2009

To 5K or Not to 5K?

Dear Encouraging Blog Followers,

I totally Sazzle this evening. Why? Well, because I just jogged a 5K on my treadmill. Oh yes, 3.1 miles. Jogging. Not stopping. Now, I did it in 41:27 which is not a good time in the least. However, that does not matter tonight. What matters is that I actually DID it. Quite proud of myself. Sazzleness!

Oh, I finished my 5K jog with walking an additional 2 miles. Indeed. I have now lost 21 pounds (as of this morning). I haven't tried on the pants yet...

On with the ACTUAL 5K race. Martha - one of my blog followers - is doing the Nike 5K in Belding, Michigan on October 24th. I have always wanted to complete a 5K. However, I am extremely nervous about it.

Why you ask?

I never, ever, ever run outside. It is ALWAYS treadmill. I get shin splints outside. My side aches outside. I can't regulate my running very well - which is why I like choosing a speed on the treadmill. I don't like hills. I get really nervous about people watching me. I have bad knees. Yes, I am a baby, but it makes me nervous.

Now, I realize that I need to do it. It may not be a big deal to many of you but it is huge to me. I have to work up the courage before Thursday. Trying to rustle up a big group of girls so that regardless of my speed, there will be someone with me.

8 comments:

  1. Although running outside is a lot different, it provides a new challenge; pushing further than you've ever gone before is apart of that new Sazzle-tude. Think of it as something that you shouldn't be nervous about, but as a rite of passage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should do it! i really like doing 5k races - i think they're great motivators. i don't think i would've ever run more than a mile or two w/o a 5k to push me. have you tried getting fitted for running shoes? I used to have knee and shin pain until i caved and bought shoes w/ extra support and inserts. now that i know what good shoes feel like, i'll never go back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got tested for inserts and spent a ton of money on them. Unfortunately, they hurt wearing them - so that was a bust. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you do the 5k! As far as the outside thing, think of it as a new challenge that will make you sazzle even more! Yes there are hills, but there is scenery. Shin splints are preventable with strengthening exercises. Side aches, well that shouldn't matter inside or out. Yes people are watching you, but they are cheering for you and wanting you to do well! You would be hard pressed to find a real jerk in the running community.

    Try it once, feel the excitement of the race and then who knows maybe you'll get hooked. If you don't get hooked at least you can say you ran a 5k, and that is what sazzling is all about!

    The alphabet thing totally works:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-290--529-1-3X6-3,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, if you try it, you'll love it. If you don't love it, I'll give you a money back gaurantee. Ok, not really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Should DO IT!!! Running outside it a totally different workout. You can feel it in your back, sides, stomach, everywhere. I can't run on treadmills, only walk.
    It is not so fun half way through but then you get random people yelling "you can do it" and you suddenly feel like running instead of walking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All good points ladies! I am going to do it! Plus, if I get Niko on the 17th, I will have a week to run outside with her. She will need the excercise and there is a trail right next to my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running with a dog is defiantly adding another level of difficulty, at least for me. My dogs run me, I don't run them, but it will be good practice.

    ReplyDelete